S2 data processing error

Technical questions about ACOLITE
junzhao

S2 data processing error

Post by junzhao »

Dear Quinten,

I have been using Acolite for a while. Everything works well. But recently I tried to use acolite to process S2A offline data. The offline data were ordered from the sentinel data hub. I got the following error:

Logging to file D:/data/sentinel/result/acolite_run_20200119_141454_log.txt
Running ACOLITE processing on Mac/Windows.
Launching ACOLITE Python!
Disabling ancillary data in GUI due to download bug.
Please use the CLI for ancillary download.
Started ACOLITE Python processing
Wrote run settings file to D:/data/sentinel/result/acolite_run_20200119_141454_settings.txt
Processing 1 scene...
Processing scene 1 of 1...
Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\ODN-USER\Miniconda3\envs\acolite_dist\lib\tkinter\__init__.py", line 1702, in __call__
File "C:\Users\ODN-USER\Desktop\Quinten\tmp\acolite\acolite\acolite\acolite_gui.py", line 467, in startRun
File "C:\Users\ODN-USER\Desktop\Quinten\tmp\acolite\acolite\acolite\acolite_run.py", line 216, in acolite_run
File "C:\Users\ODN-USER\Desktop\Quinten\tmp\acolite\acolite\acolite\acolite_ac.py", line 264, in acolite_ac
File "C:\Users\ODN-USER\Desktop\Quinten\tmp\acolite\acolite\sentinel\scene_meta.py", line 35, in scene_meta
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'nodeValue'

This is weird. Acolite works for S2 online data.

Any clue?

Thanks.

Jun
quinten

Re: S2 data processing error

Post by quinten »

Hi Jun

Not sure what you mean by online and offline S2 data. Could you share the scene id you are trying to process?

Quinten
junzhao

Post by junzhao »

Hi Quinten,

Thanks for you reply. One of the scence ids is S2B_MSIL1C_20171222T064249_N0206_R120_T40QFM_20200113T053252.SAFE.

With respect to S2 offline data, here is the info from Copernicus :

Starting from 10 September 2018, the oldest and least used Sentinel-1A and B data have started to be removed from the online archive. On Q3 2019, part of the Sentinel-2 and Sentinel-3 products will also be removed. Products retrieval is still possible via the Data Hubs that take care to manage the requests to the Long Term Archives (LTA) and to restore the products online.

The product catalogues of the Data Hub services continue to provide access to the full set of data, searchable via the Graphical User Interfaces as well as the OData and OpenSearch APIs. Data that are no longer online are flagged as “offline”. An attempt at downloading these “offline” products, will trigger their retrieval from the LTA. After a while, the requested products will be available for download through the original URL.

The Data Hub Graphical User Interface (GUI) can be used to identify and order offline products. Further instructions on how to manage these products are available here.

The link is https://scihub.copernicus.eu/userguide/ ... ive_Access.

Jun
quinten

Post by quinten »

Hi Jun

I am currently away on fieldwork with limited computer and internet access, but I will have a look when I get back. I likely have to make some small changes to the reading of the metadata file. I can probably only do this end of February or beginning of March.

Quinten
tvking

Post by tvking »

Hi Quinten,

I don't mean to pester you, but rather to cheer you on as you work to fix this issue. I am also having issues processing S2 imagery that is restored from the long term archive and look forward to a fix. I have included a snippet below (in case that helps?) from trying to process the scene with the original name "S2A_MSIL1C_20160512T185122_N0202_R070_T11TMK_20160512T185122". The zip file downloads with this name, and the SAFE file unpacks with the name "S2A_MSIL1C_20160512T185122_N0202_R070_T11TMK_20200220T082850".

Many thanks!
-Tyler

Processing 1 scene...
Processing scene 1 of 1...
Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\ODN-USER\Miniconda3\envs\acolite_dist\lib\tkinter\__init__.py", line 1702, in __call__
File "C:\Users\ODN-USER\Desktop\Quinten\tmp\acolite\acolite\acolite\acolite_gui.py", line 467, in startRun
File "C:\Users\ODN-USER\Desktop\Quinten\tmp\acolite\acolite\acolite\acolite_run.py", line 216, in acolite_run
File "C:\Users\ODN-USER\Desktop\Quinten\tmp\acolite\acolite\acolite\acolite_ac.py", line 264, in acolite_ac
File "C:\Users\ODN-USER\Desktop\Quinten\tmp\acolite\acolite\sentinel\scene_meta.py", line 35, in scene_meta
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'nodeValue'
quinten

Post by quinten »

Hi All

I got my hands on some S2 "offline" data and it seems the crash was caused by an empty/missing tag in the metadata. The metadata reader should be a bit more robust now. I have updated the source code: https://github.com/acolite/acolite/comm ... dc294d4df9 and these changes will be incorporated in a future binary version.

If you want to process the files now with the current binary version, you can edit the 'MTD_MSIL1C.xml' file in each of your scenes and either remove the line with '<PRODUCT_URI/>' or replace it by '<PRODUCT_URI>Blank</PRODUCT_URI>'

Hope this helps!

Quinten