Nesting

Everything related to the preinstalled test cases in COHERENS. Additionally, you can find here the necessary files to setup a test case.If you have developed a new test case and you want to share it with other users, feel free to post a new thread.

Moderator: Katrijn

Sou
Full name: Soudeh Afsharian

Nesting

Post by Sou »

Hi,
Imagine I have an area of 194 pts by 88pts with 2km res in both x and y directions and x0 = -80.2, y0 = 42.3.
Now I want to nest an area with:
i=60:80 and j=20:30 with deltx =100m and delty = 50m.
How should I set it? please just give me the exact switches which needs to be set it in Usrdef_Nested_Grids.f90 and Userdef_model.f90
Thank you,
Sue
Sou
Full name: Soudeh Afsharian

Re: Nesting

Post by Sou »

I did the settings by myself. but I don't see any impact!!
Does nesting setting work?
Katrijn
Full name: Katrijn Baetens

Re: Nesting

Post by Katrijn »

Hi Sou,

The nesting option works for sure, hence the test cases.

First of all some clarification on how the nesting procedure works. Let's say you are working with two models a mother model with a coarse grid and a daughter model with a finer grid. The mother model delivers the input for the open sea boundaries of the daughter model. This is done in the mother set up by defining the open sea boundary positions of the daughter in Usrdef_Nested_Grids.f90 of the mother set up. The result is written to modfiles(io_nstgrd,1,1)%filename = , which is defined in Usrdef_Model.f90 of the the mother set up. In the example you sent me this was commented (line 397).

In conclusion, the results of the mother model as such are not changed, indeed, extra results are created, these results are used as open sea boundary input for the daughter model, which does not need tidal input any more.

I hope this clarification is what you needed? If not, I misunderstood and will give an appropriate explanation.

Cheers,

Katrijn