meterological forcing

Everything related to the preinstalled test cases in COHERENS. Additionally, you can find here the necessary files to setup a test case.If you have developed a new test case and you want to share it with other users, feel free to post a new thread.

Moderator: Katrijn

sara.oceanography
Full name: sara salehi

meterological forcing

Post by sara.oceanography »

Hi everybody,
I am new to coherens and this forum, I hope to get much useful information here.
I could install coherens V2.11 and define my gride and tidal constituents, Now I am going to define meteorological forcing from ECMWf database. I know coherens can read Net CDF format, too. I did not see any example to read this format in the test cases.
I would be grateful if you could help me to do it. if someone did it, please put your code in the forum. I really need it immediately. Please help :|
Kind Regards,
Sara
Katrijn
Full name: Katrijn Baetens

Re: meterological forcing

Post by Katrijn »

Hi Sara,
Here a piece of code I'm using to read bathymetry data in netcdf:
Notice that the fact that it's already in netCDF is determined when defining modfiles(io_modgrd,1,1)%form = 'N'
in the subroutine usrdef_mod_params.
Do not forget this USE statement:
USE inout_routines, ONLY: close_file, close_filepars, open_file, open_filepars

CALL open_filepars(modfiles(io_modgrd,1,1))
iunit = modfiles(io_modgrd,1,1)%iunit

!2. Water depths [m]
!-------------------
!
CALL cf90_inquire(iunit,nvariables=nvars)

DO ivar=1,nvars
CALL cf90_inquire_variable(iunit,ivar,varname)
IF (varname.EQ.'DEPTH_OOST') THEN
CALL cf90_get_var(iunit,ivar,xdat,1)
depmeanglb(1:250,1:125) = xdat(:,:)
END IF
ENDDO

Hope this helps!!!
Katrijn
sara.oceanography

Dear Katrin,
Thank you so much for sharing your information. sorry, I was not able to delete the extra post.
I used the text format to create the meteorological file, I think This format It is easier, but I have a problem with the temperature results, minimum depth of my bathymetry is 6 meters, the temperature results in the regions with minimum depth have unusual values, for example, it reaches 31 degrees in May , and It is impossible for my region. In other regions the temperature is good. I am sure about my input files, but I don t know something is wrong about this.
I would be grateful if you could help me.
Kind regards,
sarah
Katrijn

Post by Katrijn »

Hi Sara,
That looks indeed suspicious, i will have a look at it on monday and hope I'll be able to help. You're sure your initial temp conditions are all right?

Cheers,
Katrijn
sara.oceanography

Hi Katrin,
Thank you so much for your quick reply. Yes, I am sure about my initial conditions.
Pooran helped me so much to set up the coherens, I have understood she has my problem too, the minimum of her grid is 5 meters and her temperature results in those regions are unusual and high, she said to me " Soudeh from Canada and Sameer( works in red sea) have had the problems
in the temperature results like me"
Maybe the model has a bug . and coherens calculates the unusual heat flux in these regions.
I would be grateful if you could consider this problem because many users have had the same problem. I do not have enough time to end my thesis.
looking forward to any suggestions and ideas.
Kind regards,
sarah.
Katrijn

Post by Katrijn »

Hi Sarah (with an h, sorry I forgot in my previous messages!)
I have checked a set-up of me with temperature data and I don't have these strange temperature values. Do you have the drying and wetting scheme switched on? I know that Pooran had an issue with her boundary conditions, but this is probably not the case with you. I asked our lead developer for some info. If you want me to have a look directly at your code, pm me and I'll have a look.
Cheers,
Katrijn
sara.oceanography

Dear Katrin,
Thank you so much for your reply. I used the drying and wetting scheme, but I do not know I enabled it correctly or not, In below I wrote the piece of my code about it , I can not attach all my code, because my virtual machine has had a problem and it does not connect to the internet and I can't install any USB on it, if I will solve the problem I will send it for you.

!---flooding/drying scheme
iopt_fld = 2
!---drying/flooding depth parameters
dcrit_fld = 0.5; dthd_fld = 0.1; dmin_fld = 0.02
!3. Water depths [m]

CALL open_filepars(modfiles(io_modgrd,1,1))
iunit = modfiles(io_modgrd,1,1)%iunit

j_310: DO j=1,nr-1
READ (iunit,*) depmeanglb(1:nc-1,j)
ENDDO j_310

depmin = MERGE(10.0,1.0,iopt_fld.EQ.0)
j_220: DO j=1,nr-1
i_220: DO i=1,nc-1
IF (depmeanglb(i,j).GT.0.0.AND.depmeanglb(i,j).LT.depmin) THEN
depmeanglb(i,j) = depmin
ENDIF
ENDDO i_220
ENDDO j_220

I used the implicit scheme as well,

!---multigrid
nomglevels = MERGE(4,3,iopt_MPI.EQ.0)
mg_tol = 1.0E-04
ur_smooth = 0.8
!---model grid
sigstar_DJ = 0.2
sig0_DJ = 0.1

I would be grateful if you could consider this piece of my code.
Thank you so much in advance,
Kind regards,
Sarah.
Katrijn

Post by Katrijn »

Hi Sarah,
It is difficult to say here from a distance. The model is running, so the set-up must be ok. If you want you can send me the whole code (kbaetens@naturalsciences.be) and we can have a look into more detail. We have a run for three years now and nothing seems to be wrong with the results. Some suggestions:

version 2.11.2 will be available soon on the web-site, maybe this will help
did you check your meteo-data above the points with a minimum depth, maybe something went wrong there?
your overall set-up seems to be fine, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Hope to here from you soon,
Kind regards,
Katrijn
rawand
Full name: kamkaran

Post by rawand »

Great post.thanks so much for sharing it.
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.