headless batch run

ircwaves

headless batch run

Post by ircwaves »

Hi Quinten,

I am trying to run the latest ACOLITE release in headless batch mode. I run the following command line:

Code: Select all

./idl84/bin/idl -rt=acolite.sav  -args settings=/home/ircwaves/data/settings.cfg \
         run=1 \
         output=/home/ircwaves/data/aco_proc_oBrEm0 \
         image=/home/ircwaves/data/aco_proc_oBrEm0/
I have tried both the above, and with run=1 in the settings.cfg file, and both crash with:

Code: Select all

IDL Version 8.4 (linux x86_64 m64). (c) 2014, Exelis Visual Information Solutions, Inc.
% Unable to connect to X Windows display: :0
% Unable to establish X Connection.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
If I instead run with X-forwarding, a single window pops up with nothing more than an "OK" button on it. Is this window expected, despite the run=1? If I click OK on this window that has no labels, ACOLITE runs and wonderful looking products are generated. Any insight on how to stop X Windows interaction would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Ian
quinten

Re: headless batch run

Post by quinten »

Dear Ian

My apologies for the late reply! The pop-up is a result of the IDL runtime license that is used to generate the ACOLITE distribution. If you have a full IDL license it will not appear.

Circumventing the pop-up is against the runtime license terms of use, so I cannot promote that. ACOLITE should only be run on a machine within an X environment, and not on a headless server or in a virtual X environment.

Quinten
ircwaves

Re: headless batch run

Post by ircwaves »

Thanks Quinten. That matches with my guess as to what the unlabled pop-up was. We do have an IDL license, but I hadn't configured my development box to point at the license server. And we did process gobs of imagery with ACOLITE. The products do look very good. We are updating to the latest version of ACOLITE presently.

Again, Thanks,

Ian