How to run ACOLITE in batch mode?

quinten

How to run ACOLITE in batch mode?

Post by quinten »

You can run ACOLITE in batch mode using the following commands:
Linux (open a terminal and cd to the ACOLITE directory)
idl84/bin/idl -rt=acolite.sav -args settings=acolite_settings_file image=imagelist
Windows (Select Start > Run…, enter cmd and press return, cd to the ACOLITE directory)
32 bit: /path/to/acolite/idl84/bin/bin.x86/idlrt.exe -vm=acolite.sav -args settings=acolite_settings_file image=imagelist
64 bit: /path/to/acolite/idl84/bin/bin.x86_64/idlrt.exe -vm=acolite.sav -args settings=acolite_settings_file image=imagelist
In these examples, acolite_settings_file is an ACOLITE configuration file, specifying processing settings, output directory, region extent, etc., imagelist can be a comma-separated list of images with the full path (e.g. /path/to/image1,/path/to/image2,/path/to/image3/) or a text file containing a list of full paths to the images (newline separated).

For Mac users, the batch mode is probably similar to the Linux option above (unconfirmed).

post edited on 2016-04-25: changed the Linux example to use the idl script for setting up the proper environment
post edited on 2016-06-01: changed the Windows example include the -vm= flag
post edited on 2016-06-03: changed the Windows example include the -args flag
jhanafin

Re: How to run ACOLITE in batch mode?

Post by jhanafin »

Hi Quentin,

thanks for this software, it's really helping us to get a handle on Landsat water processing. Can you please explain what should be in the 'imagelist' in order to run the batch command? When you say a list of images, do you mean a list of files containing bands for one Landsat tile, e.g. PATH/LC82060232015255LGN00_B1.TIF, PATH/LC82060232015255LGN00_B2.TIF, etc?

Thanks,

Jenny
quinten

Post by quinten »

Hi Jenny

The 'imagelist' should contain a list of paths to the extracted scene directory or to the MTL files. There is no need to list individual bands in each scene.

For example, if I want to process two scenes LC81990242014075LGN00 and LC81990242014091LGN00, both stored in a given directory, say /home/quinten/Data/L8/199/024/ the ACOLITE command is:
idl84/bin/idl -rt=acolite.sav -args settings=acolite_settings_file image=/home/quinten/Data/L8/199/024/LC81990242014075LGN00,/home/quinten/Data/L8/199/024/LC81990242014091LGN00
Alternatively these path to the scenes can go in a plain text file with each scene on a new line, e.g. /home/quinten/Data/scenes.txt The ACOLITE command then is:
idl84/bin/idl -rt=acolite.sav -args settings=acolite_settings_file image=/home/quinten/scenes.txt
I hope this helps!

Quinten

post edited on 2016-04-25: changed the Linux example to use the idl script for setting up the proper environment
RodneyF

Post by RodneyF »

hi Quintin,
the Windows 32 and 64 comand lines require "-args" inserted in order to work.
Rodney
quinten

Post by quinten »

Thanks Rodney!

I have changed the example.

Quinten
adogliotti

Post by adogliotti »

Hi Quinten,

I'm trying to process in bacth mode in linux, but I get this error:

~/acolite_linux/idl84/bin$ bash idl -rt=/home/tele/acolite_linux/acolite.sav -args settings=/home/tele/S2/S2_Mancha_Rhow_subset2.cfg image=/home/tele/S2/list.txt

Unable to access idl. You will have to
define the IDL_DIR environment variable to point at the main
IDL directory before it will work.

Thanks for your help!

Ana
quinten

Post by quinten »

Hi Ana

The "idl" in the idl84/bin directory is actually a script that will set up the IDL runtime environment for you. You should run it from the acolite_linux directory instead of the idl84/bin directory. To take your example, from within the acolite_linux directory:

Code: Select all

~/acolite_linux$ /idl84/bin/idl -rt=acolite.sav -args settings=/home/tele/S2/S2_Mancha_Rhow_subset2.cfg image=/home/tele/S2/list.txt
Hope this helps!

Quinten
benloveday

Post by benloveday »

Hi Quinten,

Thanks for the great software. I have set up a quick batch processing script on OSx, which runs successfully, but has two small issues:

1. Everytime I launch Acolite (GUI or batch), an 'ok' box pops up. I have to manually click this to get it to proceed, which is not ideal. Usual approaches like echo '\n' | $cmd etc. do not seem to alleviate the problem. Is there something wrong with my config, or do I need to check my environment settings somehow?

2. If, for testing, I only wanted to output corrected RGBs from S2, is it possible to set products to none?

Can you help me get over these final little hurdles?

Cheers,

Ben
quinten

Post by quinten »

Hi Ben

The pop-up is normal and is a side-effect of using the IDL runtime. Circumventing this pop-up is in violation of the runtime license so I cannot help you there. Please note that an open source Python version of ACOLITE is under development which will not have this issue. (I estimate a first version to be available early 2018.)

If you want just the RGB files you can clear the "Output parameters" box in the GUI, or leave the "products=" option empty in your settings file. (Maybe it is then also best if you disable smoothing options to speed things up.)

Quinten