Do Acolite atmospheric correction changes the resolution of all sentinel-2 bands to 10m?

Frequently Asked Questions
suchitra

Do Acolite atmospheric correction changes the resolution of all sentinel-2 bands to 10m?

Post by suchitra »

Hello Quinten,

I would like to inquire whether acolite atmospheric correction alters the resolution of all bands in Sentinel-2 to 10m. However, according to information I gathered from a forum, it appears that acolite corrections do not resample the bands to 10m. I am curious to know why the bands display an output cell size of X=10, Y=10, regardless of the band being considered during the resampling process.

Thanks!
suchitra
quinten

Re: Do Acolite atmospheric correction changes the resolution of all sentinel-2 bands to 10m?

Post by quinten »

Hi Suchitra

All bands are output at the same resolution to a common grid. The output resolution in metres for Sentinel-2 MSI is set by s2_target_res, which can either be 10 (default), 20, or 60. The pixel values are replicated from coarser resolutions, or mean averaged from finer resolutions.

This means that at s2_target_res=10, the pixel values from the 20 metre bands are repeated 4 times (2x2) and those from the 60 metre bands are repeated 36 times (6x6). At s2_target_res=20, the pixel values from the 4 (2x2) 10 metre bands are mean averaged, and pixels from the 60 metre bands are repeated 9 timex (3x3). At s2_target_res=60, the pixel values from the 36 (6x6) 10 metre bands are mean averaged, as are the 9 pixels (3x3) from the 20 metre bands. This resampling used to be done by my own code, but is now performed through gdal.

I hope this is clear!

Quinten