Masking of High Rhos for Nechad SPM

Discussion of your results and ACOLITE in general
klw

Masking of High Rhos for Nechad SPM

Post by klw »

Hey Quinten,

We are working on a project to map SPM in coastal waters with very high SPM values. We have noticed that there was a lot of masking in the SPM Nechad product (based on Sentinel-2 imagery) that was not present in other layers. We have figured out that the masking is on line 361 of acolite_l2.py
"cur_mask = np.where(cur_data >= (setu['nechad_max_rhow_C_factor'] * C_Nechad))"

Is this masking step always necessary? Is it a limitation of the Nechad algorithm?

For reference I am noticing this on tiles T20TMR and T20TLR on pretty much every image date
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-09-12 094000.png
Screenshot 2022-09-12 094000.png (429.56 KiB) Viewed 41047 times
quinten

Re: Masking of High Rhos for Nechad SPM

Post by quinten »

Hi Kristen

I added the nechad_max_rhow_C_factor as the Nechad algorithm is best applied in the linear rho_w:Turbidity regime, and that is assumed to be up to 0.5*C. For reflectances close to the C asymptote larger errors occur, and you should switch to a longer wavelength for retrieving Turbidity. This limitation is not present in the original Nechad paper, so feel free to set nechad_max_rhow_C_factor=1.0, in effect disabling this masking. (At least having this new masking makes you think about the algorithm design! :lol:)

I hope this is clear!

Quinten