Why not SIMEC in ACOLITE?

Discussion of your results and ACOLITE in general
yulunmaps

Why not SIMEC in ACOLITE?

Post by yulunmaps »

Hi Quinten,

The adjacency effect remains a challenge in remote sensing of inland waters. iCOR seems to handle it well with the SIMEC technique. SIMEC is quite simple in theory — I was wondering if you ever considered implementing it in ACOLITE? That'll improve the results in certain areas quite a bit (I think).

Thanks!
Yulun
quinten

Re: Why not SIMEC in ACOLITE?

Post by quinten »

Hi Yulun

Thanks for your question! Indeed adjacency effects are a big problem for smaller water targets on decametre (and below) satellite sensors.

I have no plans to integrate SIMEC into ACOLITE at the moment. We are however working on some different approaches to try and tackle the adjacency problem. Perhaps if we ever arrive to an evaluation step of those algorithms it will be worth to compare them to SIMEC.

Note that the Similarity Spectrum may not be representative for all waters or band combinations, and maybe it is better used as (part of) a quality control step. I think it cannot be imposed to all different targets or generically applied to all sensors supported in ACOLITE. (Although there are some other non generic settings in ACOLITE that shouldn't be applied!)

Quinten
yulunmaps

Re: Why not SIMEC in ACOLITE?

Post by yulunmaps »

That makes sense, thank you so much for your reply!
Yulun